Eghersis
is a transliteration of the Greek word, εγερσις, which has the meaning of being roused to life. Thus, it is my hope that what you find on this blog will empower, arouse, stimulate, excite, and animate your life--your soul, your spirit--the wholeness of who you are.


Monday, October 20, 2008

Justice in Monte Cristo


Recently, I watched the movie, The Count of Monte Cristo.  I didn’t choose it, it chose me. Or rather, my daughter chose it, and then somehow it felt as though the movie chose me. It is a story of injustice and justice. It is the story of Edmond Dantes, a naïve and innocent man who finds himself in the midst of an inner struggle to know a God of justice. His inner turmoil becomes an external vendetta, and his retaliation is certainly justified.

 

For Edmond, God disappears; yet a perceptive audience will see Him working in surprising places and through unlikely people. By the end of the story, Edmond has brought justice upon the heads of the oppressors by using their own methods against them. Although, Edmond is driven by revenge, the final outcome invites a question. How does God do justice?

 

My immediate thought following the end of the movie came from Matthew 11:12. “… the kingdom of heaven has suffered violence, and the violent take it by force.”  Why this came to mind, I have no idea. But the surprise of it called me to notice it. This verse makes little sense to me. I have never understood it within its Biblical context, and how it relates to this movie would be pure speculation.

 

But I am one prone to speculate, so I have been pondering its meaning in light of The Count of Monte Cristo. But these are personal thoughts that I will leave to roam around in my head. If you want speculating thoughts, you will need to formulate your own by watching the movie and then reading Matthew 11:12. You may find your own surprise as you reflect on a God of justice.

 

No comments:

Blog Archive