Eghersis
is a transliteration of the Greek word, εγερσις, which has the meaning of being roused to life. Thus, it is my hope that what you find on this blog will empower, arouse, stimulate, excite, and animate your life--your soul, your spirit--the wholeness of who you are.


Saturday, March 14, 2009

Forty Words for Forty Days: Day 16-Work


Work is a word that uses energy. Sometimes the use of that energy feels draining, and sometimes it feels stimulating. It speaks of movement, of involvement of some sort, of a busy-ness with a purposeful end. 

Today, I worked a litter patrol on a stretch of highway in my hometown. The Chamber of Commerce organized the event. Volunteers from the community formed teams, and together we hit the streets looking for trash.

The section of roadway that we selected was a mess. I knew it was a mess and that is why I chose it. I walk this part of town, and I have been discouraged by the garbage that accumulates. But today, the weather made the mess soggy. My work was wet, cold, and miserable.

After an hour and a half, I had filled five large trash bags with plastic grocery sacks, metal discards, candy wrappers, foil chip bags, cups, straws, lids, and restaurant take-out containers. My back was aching, my fingers were numb, and my stomach was rumbling.

Despite the weather and the loads of litter, I had a moment of intense satisfaction. I was contributing to a cleaner city. I was beautifying a piece of road that I valued. I was being a good steward of God’s creation. My work was purposeful. My work had value. I was drained, but I was stimulated.

Work matters. It is the energy of life that engages with the Creator’s work. As a community, we were engaged together in a work process. And together, aware or not, we joined the work of the Creator in the care of His creation.

Here is my reflective question of the day: “How does your work engage with the work of the Creator?”

Photo: http://www.azlitter.org/uslitter/ 


No comments:

Blog Archive