Eghersis
is a transliteration of the Greek word, εγερσις, which has the meaning of being roused to life. Thus, it is my hope that what you find on this blog will empower, arouse, stimulate, excite, and animate your life--your soul, your spirit--the wholeness of who you are.


Thursday, March 7, 2013

That's Intimidating

Reflections from the Ash Heap


Another thing that bothers me about Job is God's answer. Somehow it reads more like an intimidation tactic. And I'm not sure that God even answers Job's complaints and questions. Job has repeatedly stated that he can't understand why God is treating him so poorly and why God doesn't answer and give some explanation. Job is like many people who wonder why God is silent in the midst of suffering. And why God allows suffering to continue. And why God doesn't take action. As far as I can tell in the reading, Job never abuses God, never curses God. Job believes God is involved and has power to do something about his situation. And Job wants God to do something and he makes it known in his lamenting voice. His is a serious prayer.

And when God finally does say something, wham! Job gets blasted with what seems like intimidation. God gives no reasons for anything. God makes it clear that God is powerful and in charge and when God says this and does that, it happens or does not happen. God points to the creation. God points to powerful creatures. God asserts that God is Creator. And by inference, Job has no business questioning this powerful Creator. And Job shuts his mouth at the outset. Apparently, God answers to no one. That's intimidating.

That's rough reading. Is this saying that people have no business complaining and moaning and lamenting when there is injustice, oppression, suffering, pain? What is God trying to do here? What is God saying? God doesn't seem to answer Job. Does that mean there are no answers, so don't bother asking questions? I don't think so. But then again, I could be wrong.




3 comments:

Lorenzo said...

I think you are right. we should question everything we don't understand. we gain knowledge this way. By not answering, Job may have learned not to ask questions to answers that may not be understood. Maybe I'm wrong? I find God is intimidating and I fear his abilities.

Lisa Gonzales-Barnes said...

Thanks for your comment. I'm not sure what Job learned. And who knows, maybe if it had been someone else, God might have responded differently.

RiEdro said...

Intimidating...might not be the word I would use in reading the Book of Job. Inferior, this is the feeling with which I draw from this story. First, Job opens with the challenge between God and Satan with Job as the "pawn" in the story which God initiated. Secondly, I do find it disconcerting that Job was still "content" with "the Lord gave and took away," and worshiped God. Was this the belief of people during the time Job lived or was written? Thirdly, reading what Job's wife wished him to do (no comments as to what was going on with her since she lost as much as Job did), what his friends assumed were the reasons for all that happened, Job was still in the middle, the "pawn." Naturally, I would have asked/ challenged God as to why, the purpose. Right, no answers to satisfy Job; just I AM WHO I AM. Job was still inferior. I believe much of the Old Testament is written in the same tone, God is superior, Israel was chosen to be superior (thus all the war and conquering). I find the New Testament changed all that. Jesus the Messiah, although Superior, brought the Inferior into a different light; a relationship that is not Intimidating...

Blog Archive