Eghersis
is a transliteration of the Greek word, εγερσις, which has the meaning of being roused to life. Thus, it is my hope that what you find on this blog will empower, arouse, stimulate, excite, and animate your life--your soul, your spirit--the wholeness of who you are.


Monday, October 27, 2008

Walking in Contentment


Nearly every morning around six or six-thirty, I walk. I walk the neighborhood of my work building. Once I pass the medical facilities and insurance offices, I walk the street that leads into a residential area, a well-to-do residential area. Some of these half-a-million dollar homes are for sale. 

I speculate, “What would it be like to live in one of these homes?” Manicured landscape, home office, stonework entryway, stained glass windows, roomy garages, spacious living quarters . . .   

But then I notice that nearly every house looks onto the street and onto the walls of or into the rooms of the neighbors’ houses. They are built very close to one another. I don’t like that. 

I also notice that nearly every house has no curtains or blinds on its windows. I know because I look in those windows. Peering into lighted rooms from a dark street at six in the morning has become my secret activity. Although I myself am a secret snoop, I prefer blinds or curtains or both. 

Another thing I notice is that while I admire the lovely landscapes, my own pattern of unruly and wild gardening would definitely be out of place. I would have to hire a gardener. Rats! I do take some joy in getting my hands dirty. 

Speaking of dirt, there would certainly be a lot of space to have to sweep and mop and dust and scrub. I would have to hire a housekeeper. I wouldn’t mind that, but then I would need more income. I would have to work more hours. I don’t like that. 

I could continue with all that I have noticed about these homes, but what I have come to realize from all my noticing is that I wouldn’t be any happier there than where I am now. 

So there really is a benefit to early mornings and walking. It is called the realization of contentment. Walking the wealthy neighborhood allows me to peek into a foreign way of living, delivers my soul from envy, and drops me into a life of contentment.

No comments:

Blog Archive