Eghersis
is a transliteration of the Greek word, εγερσις, which has the meaning of being roused to life. Thus, it is my hope that what you find on this blog will empower, arouse, stimulate, excite, and animate your life--your soul, your spirit--the wholeness of who you are.


Thursday, January 8, 2009

Is God into Toothbrush Cleaning?



Spring-cleaning . . . yeah, I know. It’s not spring yet, but I’m thinking ahead. In the spring, I am out in the garden and no inside cleaning gets done. At least, not the thorough kind. So I am starting the New Year with spring-cleaning. The kitchen is getting it right now.

Spring-cleaning for me means empty everything, discard ruthlessly, scour thoroughly, and if necessary, use a toothbrush and Comet. It is nasty work. I’ve been thinking about this work that engages me at the moment. I began to wonder “Is God into toothbrush cleaning?”

 I used to think he was, but long ago I discarded that notion. Now, don’t misunderstand me. I believe that God cleans. Our souls need emptying. Some unhealthy parts need to be discarded and scoured. And yes, sometimes a toothbrush is necessary to reach those small crannies lodged with crud. But as I was toothbrush scrubbing, there came a point when I had to say, “Oh, the heck with it.”

Personally, I think that is what God does. Sure, he does a bit of toothbrush scrubbing in my soul. But why would he waste his time working some tiny cruddy place when the rest of my soul needs an overhaul? In addition to that, I could spend a lot of time chastising myself over the tiny crud and neglect the larger areas that are getting messier and messier.

I’d rather acknowledge the crud, invite a bit of God’s toothbrush cleaning, and then say, “Oh, the heck with it. There’s another area over here that needs to be emptied, discarded, and scoured.” 

4 comments:

Dianna Woolley said...

I would agree with your post about God's getting into the crevices. I certainly believe in a God that can do/clean/renew the tiny dirty, dark places of our souls or of our daily activities. However, I don't think God micro-manages; I believe we are supposed to be responsible and working at all the daily places God could be - but where he strongly suggests that we have responsibilities also.

Anna's Spot said...

So I asked for a spiritual journey this evening and found your blog. I really like it and I am going to do a little more looking when I get more time.
Have a beautiful day.
Anna

Lisa Gonzales-Barnes said...

Sunrise,
I like the idea that God doesn't micro-manage us. So true.

Lisa Gonzales-Barnes said...

Anna,
Thanks for your comment. Thanks for inviting my thoughts to be part of your journey.

Blog Archive