Eghersis
is a transliteration of the Greek word, εγερσις, which has the meaning of being roused to life. Thus, it is my hope that what you find on this blog will empower, arouse, stimulate, excite, and animate your life--your soul, your spirit--the wholeness of who you are.


Saturday, February 28, 2009

Forty Words for Forty Days: Day 4-Sleep


Sleep is a tired word. It is a not-awake word. It’s a word that makes me think of being groggy and sluggish. A word that speaks of comfort for a worn-out body. It speaks of eight hours of virtual nothingness. Non-awareness. Unconscious.

One of the problems with sleep is that it can get too comfortable. I get annoyed with myself when I lie in bed too long in the morning. I get the feeling that I am missing something the early morning has to offer. Sometimes I feel that I am wasting away morning pleasures in a lethargic state—a state somewhere between alertly awake and total unconsciousness.

This kind of sleepiness seems to affect even my waking hours. Sometimes I go through the day as if in a lethargy. Not fully awake to what is present. I get comfortable with routines. I sluggishly walk through the day doing my normal activities without much thought, or seeing, or hearing. I am a daytime sleep-walker. I miss what the day has to offer and waste the pleasures of it in lethargy.

Here is my reflective question for the day: “What keeps me sleep walking and lethargic to the pleasurable offerings of the day?”

No comments:

Blog Archive