Eghersis
is a transliteration of the Greek word, εγερσις, which has the meaning of being roused to life. Thus, it is my hope that what you find on this blog will empower, arouse, stimulate, excite, and animate your life--your soul, your spirit--the wholeness of who you are.


Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Forty Words for Forty Days: Day 30-Beauty


Beauty makes one think of attractiveness—something that looks pleasing. It is a word attached to something that looks lovely. It appeals. By definition, it declares that there is a word that is not beauty. We would say that “ugly” is beauty’s opposite.

I’ve been reflecting on beauty. Beauty happens for me when a thing or event causes me to well up from the inside. Given this, ugly can have beauty. The fullness that I sense when in the presence of beauty doesn’t always have to do with pleasing features or attractive characteristics. What is it that causes us to remark on the beauty of a thing or person?

For me, it is some mysterious quality that draws me to the beauty. It is a private call from the thing itself. I hear the call in a place that desires beauty to be a part of my deepest self. Beauty reaches into my soul and invites me to participate in it. Beauty shares itself. It gives itself away for the delight of my soul.

Here is my reflective question for the day: “How does beauty affect your soul?”


No comments:

Blog Archive