Eghersis
is a transliteration of the Greek word, εγερσις, which has the meaning of being roused to life. Thus, it is my hope that what you find on this blog will empower, arouse, stimulate, excite, and animate your life--your soul, your spirit--the wholeness of who you are.


Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Seeing Darkness

This morning I walked in darkness and really looked at it. Darkness dulls colors into varying shades and hues of gray and black. Not unattractive. But darkness is demanding. Shadows hide things that my eyes strain to discern. Shapes deceive and indistinct lines distort forms. Darkness invites me to a different kind of presence than that of daylight.

It is an invitation to be present with more than just my eyes. There is something about seeing darkness that calls other senses into awareness. It is as though the darkness silences vision and beckons an inner eye to engage with it. Metaphorically, spiritual darkness offers the same invitation.

There is a kind of spiritual darkness that hides that which I would like to be obvious and knowable. I am obliged to discern by other means. To see what is distorted or hidden in the shadows of my life, I must trust another source to show me what is there. Spiritual darkness calls for engagement with the inner life. It is a call to live the reality of Immanuel, God With Us.

Day seven of the Thirty Days of Seeing

No comments:

Blog Archive