Eghersis
is a transliteration of the Greek word, εγερσις, which has the meaning of being roused to life. Thus, it is my hope that what you find on this blog will empower, arouse, stimulate, excite, and animate your life--your soul, your spirit--the wholeness of who you are.


Thursday, January 14, 2010

Refrigerator Soul

Today, I cleaned the refrigerator. Liquids had spilled. Half-used jars of sauces were dated. The crispers were littered with shriveled leafy vegetables. Food containers crowded the front of the shelves. Things were growing that ought not grow in a refrigerator. So, I wiped up, sorted out, threw away, and rearranged. I really couldn’t tell what needed to be cleaned until I started cleaning.


This is somewhat like my spiritual life. It gets untidy, cluttered, and old. It needs a bit of freshening and rearranging. I really don’t notice this need until it begins to feel as though there are too many items stuffed in the places of my soul. It begins to feel as though there is no room for what is fresh and new. Then I become aware of the need to sort, discard, and reorganize my inner life. I must make space for the fresh spiritual food that would fill and satisfy me.


The catch is that, like the refrigerator, I can’t seem to clean myself. I need an Other to wipe messes, to find the dated and the shriveled, and to rearrange. All I must do is open the door and invite that Other One to do what needs to be done, and I must give that Other One the time to do it. This open door to the Other gives the nod—it is a big YES to a clean up of the mind, the heart, the soul.



No comments:

Blog Archive