Eghersis
is a transliteration of the Greek word, εγερσις, which has the meaning of being roused to life. Thus, it is my hope that what you find on this blog will empower, arouse, stimulate, excite, and animate your life--your soul, your spirit--the wholeness of who you are.


Thursday, February 18, 2010

Have Mercy On Us



Today I am thinking about the ashes that were on my head yesterday, the words "You came from dust and to dust you will return," and the words of a song that I sang "Have mercy on us."

Ashes: Black, smudged, cold, not attractive. But I saw them on everyone's head, even the small children. We are all marked and smudged, blackened.

"You came from dust and to dust you will return": We all know this, but hearing those words was significant. And hearing those words said to everyone around me made it more clear. We are all in the same predicament: a dying one.

"Have mercy on us": With the ashes on my head and the dust words in my ears, these words brought tears to my eyes. It is a desperate need for a desperate predicament. These are the only words that make sense when wearing ashes.

No comments:

Blog Archive