Eghersis
is a transliteration of the Greek word, εγερσις, which has the meaning of being roused to life. Thus, it is my hope that what you find on this blog will empower, arouse, stimulate, excite, and animate your life--your soul, your spirit--the wholeness of who you are.


Sunday, November 30, 2008

Uncertain Hope for the First Week of Advent

Uncertain hope is the topic for consideration during this first week of Advent. This is a time to reflect on the past and a time to hope for an uncertain future. It is a time to reflect on the mysterious birth of a king who brought near a mysterious kingdom. 

The birth of Jesus gives me pause to reflect on what it means to have had God become a human baby. I reflect on what it means to be human: a broken soul in a mortal body. I grieve the loss of spiritual wholeness, the loss of what was complete at the beginning of all things.

The birth of Jesus also gives me pause to reflect on what it means to hope in the future return of the God-Human. I reflect on what it means to be a human destined for eternity. I yearn for that spiritual wholeness, the completion of all that was begun.

But in the meantime, I am in the middle, between the two “comings.” It is as though this time is the “Middle Kingdom.” It is a Kingdom of broken souls who hope in the return of their king.

When? No one knows. We hope anyway.

What does the future hold for us in this “Middle Kingdom?” No one knows. We hope anyway.

We hope in an uncertain future. We have an uncertain hope. In this week of Advent, I am reflecting on that uncertainty, on that hope, on that uncertain future in a kingdom that keeps broken souls.

No comments:

Blog Archive