Eghersis
is a transliteration of the Greek word, εγερσις, which has the meaning of being roused to life. Thus, it is my hope that what you find on this blog will empower, arouse, stimulate, excite, and animate your life--your soul, your spirit--the wholeness of who you are.


Thursday, March 26, 2009

Forty Words for Forty Days: Day 26-Approve


Approve gives a thumbs up, a yes, a nod of the head.  It affirms. Agrees. It is a word that says “I am with you.” The problem that comes with approve is when I need it from others. 

Too often I find myself looking for others to approve of what I say, what I do, what I think, what I feel. When that doesn’t happen, I begin to dis-approve of myself. I doubt myself. Question myself. Fear arises and diminishes the power I could have.

The awareness of my tendency toward this way of responding to what others approve or disapprove has nudged me toward a more secure place. I realize that my desire for others to approve of me leads to accusation and deception.

If I believe that my thoughts, ideas, feelings, and actions are only worth as much as others approve of them, then I am only effective to the degree of that approval. This is deception.

And if I begin to doubt and question my ideas, thoughts, feelings, and actions because others disapprove of me and if I begin to berate myself for having such ideas and thoughts, then I disown my intuition based upon that disapproval. This is accusation.

I want neither.

Here is my reflective question for the day: “In what ways does approve affect you?”


No comments:

Blog Archive