Eghersis
is a transliteration of the Greek word, εγερσις, which has the meaning of being roused to life. Thus, it is my hope that what you find on this blog will empower, arouse, stimulate, excite, and animate your life--your soul, your spirit--the wholeness of who you are.


Thursday, November 19, 2009

Seeing a Mattress


As I was sitting at my dining room table, I glanced out the window and saw a young man walking on the sidewalk in front of our house. He was carrying a twin-sized mattress over his head. Curious.

This has me thinking about carrying things. Unusual things. And where those things are carried. As a spiritual director, I sometimes ask my directees to become aware of their bodies as they converse around certain subjects. Often directees notice tightness or achiness or twinges or pains in particular areas or parts of their bodies. This is where they are carrying that subject. Curious.

Our bodies are not disconnected from our mental and emotional states. Instead, the entirety of who we are is carried around, and we have to carry it somewhere. Our bodies hold what we carry. If we pay attention, we can discover those weighted places and intentionally redistribute the weight or discard it completely if necessary.

I imagine that the man with the mattress had a destination and would be relieved of his cargo. I cannot imagine that he would haul that mattress indefinitely. And yet for some of us, this is what we do. We carry our load indefinitely. What toll does this take on those places that hold the weight?

Day twenty-five of the Thirty Days of Seeing

No comments:

Blog Archive