Eghersis
is a transliteration of the Greek word, εγερσις, which has the meaning of being roused to life. Thus, it is my hope that what you find on this blog will empower, arouse, stimulate, excite, and animate your life--your soul, your spirit--the wholeness of who you are.


Sunday, January 16, 2011

Grief in the Kingdom


 Over the past three weeks, I worked on the preparations for a memorial service. And something that I noticed was how deeply I was affected by that process. As a chaplain, I met with a diverse group of people in order to work out the details of the service. I was struck by how each person dealt with their grief. I was not close to the deceased, but I felt the intensity of all the emotions. I held a grieving space for all who were affected by this patient's death. I felt their pain, their loss, their darkness. The experience brought Romans 12:15 into stark reality. "Weep with those who weep." I think this is what it is like to have the mind of Christ and to be united with humanity in pain and suffering. As I suffered with this community of people, I participated in the Kingdom of God. I offered a sacred space of peace, comfort, and hope in the midst of tears. Definitely a God moment.

No comments:

Blog Archive