Eghersis
is a transliteration of the Greek word, εγερσις, which has the meaning of being roused to life. Thus, it is my hope that what you find on this blog will empower, arouse, stimulate, excite, and animate your life--your soul, your spirit--the wholeness of who you are.


Thursday, September 1, 2011

Teeth-Cleaning Meditation

This might sound odd, but whenever I have my teeth cleaned, I meditate. It is my teeth-cleaning meditation. I think it developed out of two practices. First, I have a habit of meditating while lying in bed. I lie on my back, cross my arms over my chest, close my eyes, and focus on breathing or on being quiet with myself. Second, when my teeth are being cleaned, I have a habit of tightening all the muscles in my body, as though this tightening will somehow prevent the picking, poking, and scraping.

As a way to relax my muscles, I began to use my meditation techniques. I am already on my back in the chair. I just add the crossed arms, close my eyes, and focus on being quiet and at rest. It works. I have been doing this for years now. I became more aware of it today as my teeth were being cleaned. For some reason, I had the curious thought that my teeth were happy. I focused on the cleaning. I felt the tugging, the chipping, the scratching, the washing, the sucking, the pulling, and the nicking. And it felt good. I noticed it all.

My body remained relaxed and still, but my mind was alert to the process. I knew each tooth. And weird as it sounds, my teeth knew me. I felt united to them and we were glad. I imagine this created body wants to be recognized as worthy and honorable. A body to be noticed. Even those teeth touched by the hand of God deserve some notice. I wonder if their happiness was increased because I noticed.

No comments:

Blog Archive